Meditation is great for your body and mind and you don’t have to know everything about it to give it a try; simply approach it with curiosity and an open mind.
Benefits of Meditation
The benefits of meditation are endless and the list of powerful people who meditate is impressive. Here are a few reasons you might like it:
- Reduces stress
- Improves concentration
- Increases happiness
- Alleviates anxiety
- Increases creativity
How to Meditate
- Find a happy place: Find a place in your home where you feel peaceful and can rest undisturbed.
- Sit up (or lie down): The traditional position for meditation is cross-legged on the floor with your hands lying open on your knees, but this position can be a challenge, so feel free to lie down.
- Take a deep breath: The key to meditation is deep breathing and relaxation. Focus on a long, deep inhale, hold it for a moment or two, and then slowly release it. Repeat this.
- Focus on your breathing: Imagine yourself breathing in light and air and exhaling stress and pain.
- Find a mantra: Unfortunately we can’t just turn our brains off, so finding a simple mantra, like ‘om’, can help bring us back to ourselves. Repeat this as you breath in and out.
- Don’t worry about it: Meditation is a practice of patience and we need to remember to be patient with ourselves. You will get distracted. You will think about the dog, or the kids, or your neighbor, or the laundry, but bring it back to your breath and give yourself a break.
- Start small: Meditation doesn’t have to be all or nothing. Try it for a few minutes in the morning, over your lunch break, or in the evening. Find what works best for you and make it a habit.
Start where you are, have an open mind, and focus on your breathing. It will bring you peace. For more details, check out this post from Leo Babuta.
Do you meditate?
Have you tried it? I’d love to hear why you like it or what works for you. Leave a comment below.