Join the community, get yo-self a bike and let’s ride!
I am a huge proponent of riding bikes: those leg- and lung-powered two-wheeled bad mama jama machines. Biking is really fun, liberating and happens to be great exercise. Plus, you get to wear fancy shorts that make everyone look good (hello, spandex!).
Want to know how I got started in biking? Check it out here. Want to get started yourself – here’s my advice on buying a bike. Need some help getting started riding in #kc? Or just looking for the next level of involvement? You’ve come to the right place!
Whether you are new to the biking community, new to Kansas City or just looking for some inspiration, this post is for you. Check out the links below and then get out there and ride your bike.
Join the Community
- Kansas City Metro Bicycle Club: A leader in bicycle education and safety, and they host fun rides
- Bike Walk KC: A non-profit organization that works to advance the walking and biking community in KC
- Social Cycling KC: A Facebook page that promotes local rides and events
- Kansas Cyclist: A resource for upcoming bike rides in Kansas, plus the latest news
Learn About Bikes
- Get Into Cycling KC, Bike Source: Where to ride, how to train and the basics of getting started
Buy a Bike
- Cycle City: My favorite bike shop, owned by a talented and kind brother-sister duo, located in Parkville, MO
- Sunflower Outdoor and Bike: A darling shop on Mass Street in Lawrence, KS
- Volker Bicycles: An urban cyclery with class
- The Wheel: Located in Gladstone, MO, this bike shop offers more than the basics
Rent a Bike
- Kansas City B-Cycle: Bike sharing at its finest! For a few dollars you can use this network of bikes located throughout downtown KC and cruise the streets in style.
- Map My Ride: Find bike trails, routes, races and more
- Bike MS KC: Kansas City’s premier two-day ride starts in Olathe and takes you to Lawrence – fun, challenging and a good cause (Interested in riding? Let’s chat!)
- Spin Pizza: Weekly rides in KS and MO, plus discounted super-legit pizza after the ride
Get Involved in KC
- 816 Bike Collective: Rescuing and repairing bikes to help those in need
- RevolveKC: Featuring an Earn-A-Bike program to empower change in the KC community
This list is just the beginning. It includes some of my favorite biking resources… what’s missing? Let me know and then let’s go for a ride!